RE: OT: Mobile Phone Masts

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OT: Mobile Phone Masts
  • From: "Nigel Giddings" <nigel.giddings@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 21:41:00 +0100

I hope I am not going over something that has already been dealt with but
wanted t  clarify the point made below.
A typical Base Station has an ERP (Effective Radiated Power) in the order
of
150 Watts, whereas a handset is about 100th of that.

The Base Station obviously has a bigger PSU and those antennas provide
something like 30 dB of gain.

What is important is the 'Link Budget'. All the loses and gains in the
system have t  be balanced in both directions. In simple terms the BTS
transmits high power t  overcome the poor receiver and antenna on the
mobile, and has a very sensitive receiver t  make up for the low transmit
power from the mobile.

So, the BTS produces considerably more power, you should not stand in front
of the antennas, unless you have already had your family. The losses in air
are such that the levels are 'Safe' once you are more than 2 - 3 metres
from
the front of the antenna. The rear, top and bottom are much safer as the
power is directed forward.

This is a simplification of a very complex subject.

HTH

Nigel