Re: Big disk - problems - (long-ish)

Paul, Ian,

The IRQL_LESS_THAN_EQUAL bluescreen crash has started happening now
every=20
day on my test W2K machine with a HPT370CR@P controller but on my BP6=20
machine (2 x 400CPU, W2K & all disks on the inbuilt HPT366) it never=20
happens. So it looks like I'll be getting a Promise ATA-100/66
controller=20
for my test machine!

Vince

At 19:05 23/12/00, you wrote:
>Paul, be very, very careful with that configuration.
>
>I have the SMP version of that motherboard in my server, and had
similar
>problems with the Highpoint Controller. I found that in addition to the
>IRQL_LESS_THAN_EQUAL bluescreen crash, the controller was corrupting
data.

>I had captured video, which suddenly started getting visible glitches,
eve=
>though the initial capture was good. when I copied the data from the
serve=
>to my PC and back a few times, on each succesive copy, the video got
worse
>and worse, until it crashed VirtualDub outright.
>
>I now have a promise PCI controller card installed, and it has been
perfec=
>from Day One.
>
>Personally, I think the HPT controllers are a pile of cr*p, and have
had
>tons of problems with friends PCs etc using them. My advice: spend the
=A3=
22
>on a Promise ATA-100/66 controller. It'll save much hair pulling and
>possibly a lot, lot worse......
>
>Ian.

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/1/_/2065/_/977872815/