Re: Big disk - problems - (long-ish)

Paul, be very, very careful with that configuration.

I have the SMP version of that motherboard in my server, and had similar
problems with the Highpoint Controller. I found that in addition to the
IRQL_LESS_THAN_EQUAL bluescreen crash, the controller was corrupting data.

I had captured video, which suddenly started getting visible glitches, even
though the initial capture was good. when I copied the data from the server
to my PC and back a few times, on each succesive copy, the video got worse
and worse, until it crashed VirtualDub outright.

I now have a promise PCI controller card installed, and it has been perfect
from Day One.

Personally, I think the HPT controllers are a pile of cr*p, and have had
tons of problems with friends PCs etc using them. My advice: spend the £22
on a Promise ATA-100/66 controller. It'll save much hair pulling and
possibly a lot, lot worse......

Ian.

With US & International rates as low as 3.9c a minute from Net2Phone
Direct Plus Up to 1500 FREE minutes; you can call everyone on your list!
http://click.egroups.com/1/10924/1/_/2065/_/977597881/