Re: Big disk - problems - (long-ish)

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Big disk - problems - (long-ish)
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 19:12:15 -0000

Thanks to all who replied about the (un)reliability of the Highpoint
controllers on the ABIT M/boards. I've been away for the last few days, and
the PC has been OK over the entire period and is still up & running
fine -
so it's great so long as I don't actually try to USE it!  :-(

Before I went, I did notice a couple of things though....

1) the blue screen error is actually DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_THAN_EQUAL not just
IRQL_LESS_THAN_EQUAL and it occurs in module HPT366.SYS

2) It doesn't ONLY happen if the disk is accessed over the LAN - I tried to
play some MP3's locally and it crashed about 30 seconds into the first
track.

3) BIZZARRELY, I can perfectly happily copy GB's of MP3's ONTO the disk
over
the LAN - I copied 9 CD's worth from my laptop with no problem whatsoever.
-
It seems that writes to the disk are fine, but reads from it (either local
or remote) cause it to die.

Given the problems that many of you seem to be having with this controller,
I think I will take the advice offered and buy a Promise ATA-100
controller.
(damn, Scan are closed until Jan 2nd...)

Cheers all.

Paul G.