Re: Do these exist: "Instant on" or very rapid start CFL???

On 6/9/2011 5:07 PM, Smarty wrote:

> I had a very elaborate X-10 set-up in my home, with many devices
> being controlled by remote switches, and most of the lighting
> controlled by both the dimmable and non-dimmable wall switches. I
> had a couple dozen devices in total, and a bridge to ensure that
> both of my 110 volt feeds were coupled to pass the comparatively
> weak control signals from some home branch circuits to another. The
> system worked pretty reliably for many years.
>
> Once I switched to CFLs as well as standard fluorescent tubes, my
> X-10 system became totally unreliable with all sorts of false
> triggers. Putting a scope on my AC line made it instantly obvious
> that the EMI created by these lighting devices was much stronger
> than the X-10 signals. Furthermore, the X-10 code length was too
> short to ensure no false triggering, given the noise environment.
>
> I disconnected all of my X-10 stuff but have considered going to a
> newer Zigby or other RF controlled local are net approach with
> supervised switches capable of reporting their status back to the
> controller. I have had terrible luck with any AC carrier line
> devices, including some CCTV video cameras from Logitech and other
> devices which try to piggy-back on the AC lines once I went to CFLs
> and flouresents.
>
> The noise levels are just overwhelming for these sensitive carrier
> devices like X-10. And the signaling was never designed to be robust
> enough to cope with the noisy channel either. They would need to do
> longer codes sent more redundantly to get anywhere near acceptable
> behavior.

You know, the funny thing is that I have had both good and bad with
x10.  In my old house, in the southwestern suburbs of Chicago, it
worked, but to a point.  I couldn't have too many modules, or the
signals would get swamped.  I tried using the X10 amplifier/phase
repeater and the results were disastrous.  So I had to go with a
passive phase coupler.  It would continuously send out random x10
commands which were apparently triggered off noise.  But, for the
most part, if I "obeyed the rules"  it worked.  Here in the western
mountains of NC, I use that amplifier/phase coupler, and it works
perfectly.  I am basically using 1 house code and all 16 channels.
I do have a motion detector on another house code.  I do
occasionally see an anomaly, but they are few and far between.