Re: Do these exist: "Instant on" or very rapid start CFL??? (Now X-10)

<robert_green1963@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> ><krw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >> On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 17:00:47 -0700 (PDT), bob haller <hallerb@xxxxxxx>
> >wrote:
> >
> ><stuff snipped>

> >> X-10 is terribly unreliable.  Some had good luck with it and others not
so
> >> much.  The technology is really poor.  Too bad no one picked up the
good
> >idea
> >> and made it really workable.
> >
> >Oh, but they did!  Jeff Volp designed a line of
repeater/coupler/amplifiers
> >called XTB that take the weak 5V X-10 signal emitted by stock devices and
> >ampflies it to nearly 25V.  That sort of signal strength cuts right
through
> >CFL and other EMI noise.  An X-10 installation without one isn't worth a
> >damn because of signal attenuation and signal interference in the modern
> >home.  X-10 was designed for the homes of 30+ years ago when there were
no
> >switching power supplies and no CFL's.
> >
> >http://jvde.us/xtb/xtb_overview.htm
>
> After you put lipstick on the pig, it's still a pig.

Not true.  The XTB is far from a cosmetic fix.  It's an impeccably
engineered solution to a serious problem for people with a lot of X-10 gear.
Once you install a powerful repeater/coupler/amp like the XTB-IIR at the
panel, X-10 behaves just like it should.  It just works.  Read some of the
reviews at Jeff's site

http://jvde.us/xtb/xtb_reports.htm

or my article at Home Toys:

http://jvde.us/xtb/xtb_beta_report-rg.htm

I was at the point where my wife demanded all the X-10 gear be yanked
because of some spectacular failures.  That's when I found the XTB, the
product of an American small businessman in Utah named Jeff Volp.  After
testing a beta version of his invention, I believed he had really hit the
ball out of the park.  This definitely isn't the cosmetic fix your
"lipstick" comment might seem to imply.  It addresses and corrects the
fundamental flaw of X-10:  too weak a signal to cut through the interference
generated by modern electrical gear.  And it fixes that problem.  People
with massive X-10 installations report amazing success.  Just search Google
Groups for unsolicited testimonials.

Since you often stress the value of small businesses and personal
initiative, I would have hoped your reaction might be more than a curt one
line-dismissal without any apparent serious investigation.  Jeff's developed
and built a great product that's been a real life-safer to 100's of X-10
owners.  Dissing a hard-working small businessman with a great idea that's
helped so many based on zero research?  Not very American.  I suppose you'd
rather curse the darkness than look for a flashlight.  Too bad.  It's an
excellent product with a very satisfied user base.  If you use X-10 and
don't look into the XTB line, it's definitely your loss, not mine.

--
Bobby G.