Re: X-10 RF home automation being overwhelmed by M2 OFF, C2 OFF and Gxx DIM signals

On 8/29/2011 9:06 AM, Robert Green wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> Slowly but surely, my X-10 RF reception is being knocked out by endless
> streams of these commands broadcast on different days at different times.
>
> M2 OFFs
> C2 OFFs
> Gxx DIMs
>
> At first, when only C2 OFFs appeared, I searched in vain for a stuck
> transmitter button or some other internal cause.  I could find none.  The
> problem occurred with TM751's, the WGL all-house code unit and with RR501's,
> too.  Setting the WGL to ignore those three housecodes was all but useless -
> the constant strong signal overwhelmed any X-10 transmitter not within a
> foot or less of the transceiver.   This interference started out slowly over
> time, and now forces me to shutdown the RF section of my X-10 system almost
> daily.
>
> I'm in the Washington, DC area.  Has anyone else seen anything similar?  Any
> ideas where to look for the transmission source.  Could the RF signal "ride"
> the powerlines that an X-10 transmitter could receive?  Even putting the
> receiver in a metal coffee can doesn't seem to point to a potential source
> of the signal.  It seems to be very uniformly distributed throughout the
> house.  If I can't get it to stop, I'll have to hardwire a lot of things I'd
> rather not.  )-:
>
> TIA for any help.
>
> --
> Bobby G.

Back in the late 1980's I was working and living in the country of
Californiastan when the community I was in at the time started having
problems with their electric garage doors opening and closing as if
possessed by some evil door opener. It turned out that the US Navy
was testing the big search radars on some ships in the bay. Those big
powerful radars were producing an RF harmonic signal that was just right
to screw with the RF remote controls for a lot of openers. :-)

TDD