Re: X-10 RF home automation being overwhelmed by M2 OFF, C2 OFF and Gxx DIM signals

"The Daring Dufas" <the-daring-dufas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

<stuff snipped>

> Back in the late 1980's I was working and living in the country of
> Californiastan when the community I was in at the time started having
> problems with their electric garage doors opening and closing as if
> possessed by some evil door opener. It turned out that the US Navy
> was testing the big search radars on some ships in the bay. Those big
> powerful radars were producing an RF harmonic signal that was just right
> to screw with the RF remote controls for a lot of openers. :-)

Yes, I was aware of them.  Lutron's Radio RA system had to add a second RF
channel in NYC because of interference from a source that wasn't going away.
Read: government.

We just had a round of that a few years ago near DC at Andrews AFB and
others in Denver had the same problem.  I know that two military research
labs nearby (I live between the two on almost a perfect straight line are
tasked with IED jammer development so I wouldn't be surprised if the signal
correlated with elevated threat levels.  The DC area is as the Pentagon says
"target rich environment."

But in reality I think Dave is probably onto the real source:  The local
power company has just instituted a program where they hook a receiver/relay
between your AC and the powerline.  In brownouts, they can shut your AC off
remotely.  I was going to apply for it because we don't use our CAC anymore
and have switched to window ACs, but that seemed to be cheating so I decided
not to.

The "blips" started appearing a month or two ago, when summer began.  They
are not there today, with the temps in the cool, dry 70's (the benefit of a
hurricane - wonderful, cool, clean air for a day or afterwards).  Now I have
to download some temperature data and try to correlate that with the times
the bogies appear in my Homevision log file (records all externally
generated commands to log file).  The days of endless bogies generate huge
log files, 100 to 1000 times the normal size.

--
Bobby G.