Re: Fail-safe for keyless entry

"George" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:hqksig$uc3$2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On 4/20/2010 9:47 AM, Robert Green wrote:
> > "aemeijers"<aemeijers@xxxxxxx>  wrote in message

> >> And we have a winner! I got 1 huge ungainly combined key and fob with
my
> >> used 05 mopar van. Stopped at locksmith on way home, and got 2
> >> chip-but-no-button keys to use instead. Only downside is, only doors
> >> with keyholes are driver door and hatch.
> >>
> >> --
> >> aem sends...
> >
> > Good idea, but no can do here.  Van is a kneeling van with a handicapped
> > ramp that unfolds via the door that has no keylock!  Gotta be the fob.
> >
> > --
> > Bobby G.
> >

> Maybe get a third party system that is designed better than the junky
> stuff the car manufacturers use? Thats what I have done on the last two
> vehicles we own.

If it was new, I might, but it's 8 years old and I believe that there's a
cheaper, easier, simpler way around the problem, even if it does come down
to putting it in a hard shell case of some sort.  There seems to be enough
space to put a micro-pushbutton on the fob.  I am just not sure that one
button will serve all 7 fob buttons.

I may also be able to rewire the panic button, which we never use, to serve
as the second pushbutton.  My preliminary scan of the circuit board wasn't
very encouraging, though.  There are a lot of tiny traces around the panic
button pad.

--
Bobby G.