Re: Fail-safe for keyless entry

On Apr 19, 12:50=A0pm, "Robert Green" <robert_green1...@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I've got the typical minivan keyless entry keychain fob but it's got a
> serious design problem.
>
> The buttons depress too easily and often accidentally when the fob is pus=
hed
> into a pocket or a purse. =A0It's happened more than once, so it's time t=
o do
> something about it.
>
> The real estate inside the fob is very cramped. =A0It runs off a CR2032 c=
oin
> cell battery, and the circuit traces are simple enough so that I could
> scrape off the 3VDC+ line and bridge it with a small switch. =A0That way,=
> could just put in a tiny pushbutton that had to be depressed as well as t=
he
> desired command button each time a command was sent. =A0That approach mak=
es it
> a two-handed operation, whereas a slide type ON/OFF switch could still be
> worked with one hand.
>
> The problem is that I don't see any space in the fob for the kinds of
> switches I am used to. =A0The ideal solution, of course, would be for the
> manufacturer to put something that's found even on most throwaway $10 MP3
> players - a hold button that locks out the buttons when so desired. =A0Yo=
u'd
> think with what they charge for a replacement fob they'd include somethin=
> like that.
>
> I *might* be able to work a small slide or lever switch inside the fob, b=
ut
> it's tight. =A0In the interim, I made a clamshell type case made of hard =
clear
> plastic bubble packing material and one of those retracting string keycha=
in
> things so I can slide it out to activate it and then let the rewinding
> mechanism withdraw it. =A0So far, the hard plastic sheath has reduced the
> accidental openings, but it's butt ugly, ungainly and not a very good
> solution. =A0Plus, it came unglued more than once. =A0There's a lot of
> interesting stresses in pockets and pocketbooks. =A0 Ideas, anyone?
>
> Thanks in =A0advance!
>
> --
> Bobby G.

Here's what worked for my wife's 2005 Ford Taurus, with the factory
installed anti-theft system:

1 - Have an after-market Remote Starter installed. You will get a fob
specific to that starter.
2 - Whenever you exit the vehicle, lock the doors with the switch
mounted on the door, not with the Remote Starter fob.

You will never accidentally (or intentially) unlock the doors with the
Remote Starter fob, because...

The Ford's anti-theft system is set up so that if the doors are locked
with internal door switch, it arms the system such that the *only* fob
that will unlock the doors is the factory fob, which, of course, is
hanging on the hook at home because you only carry the Remote Starter
fob.