Re: Fail-safe for keyless entry

"JimH" <JimH@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:7D0zn.160403$0N3.136377@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Robert Green wrote:
> > I've got the typical minivan keyless entry keychain fob but it's got a
> > serious design problem.
> >
> > The buttons depress too easily and often accidentally when the fob is
pushed
> > into a pocket or a purse.  It's happened more than once, so it's time to
do
> > something about it.

<stuff snipped>

> How about a tiny nylon washer or O ring under the pushbuttons? That
> would require more effort to push the button, and reduce accidental
> activation.

That's a good idea, and one I hadn't thought of.  I've done the reverse on
other things, supergluing a nylon washer collar around buttons that depress
too easily.  My favorite idiotic design was a Panasonic VCR remote that was
designed so that you had to press two REC buttons that were side by side to
engage the recording function.  Unfortunately, the remote was designed with
flowing curves and in such a way that when the remote was put down face
down, the entire weight of the unit came down on the two REC buttons at the
same time.  More than one tape got ruined before I added a fail safe collar
to the REC buttons.

Thanks for your input, Jim, it's exactly the kind of "brain storming" idea I
was looking for.

--
Bobby G.