Re: What is X-10?

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 10:32:45 -0400, SBH <Meanie.Brat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>By what I gather, it appears to be an all in one package or system which
>offers surveillance, and remote control for electronic devices. If so, I
>would like such a system.

>Can someone explain what exactly is X-10, how does it work, if it's what I
>want and what would I need to do to get started using it?

X10 is an incredibly primative and low performance communications
system that operates over power lines at the zero crossing.  It's good
for 60bps, or about a full second for a single command.  It's original
spec is open loop,  permits 16 devices, 16 house codes, and commands
to turn on on or off all or one of 16 devices.

It has been enhanced over the years with such features as status
reporting and using multiple house codes to permit more than 16
devices, and proprietary multicommand sequences to get around some of
its limitations.

It's a incredible joke that it is still in use.