Re: What is X-10?

On Sep 7, 10:32=A0am, "SBH" <Meanie.B...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> By what I gather, it appears to be an all in one package or system which
> offers surveillance, and remote control for electronic devices. If so, I
> would like such a system.
>
> Can someone explain what exactly is X-10, how does it work, if it's what =
> want and what would I need to do to get started using it?
>
> Thank you

This is a very old protocol, as other person said it was designed in
the early 80's.

x10.com started off selling x10 parts, and they still do, buried in
the website, if you search for x10 appliance, x10 controller, x10
lighting on their site you'll find it.
I only used x10 for one device, an air conditioner plugged into an
appliance module, controlled by another x10 device attached to a
thermostat, and it would work.
If you want more elegant control, better quality devices do a search
on Zwave, Insteon, UPB. Of course these options are a lot more
expensive.
If all you want is a quick cheap solution in something non-critical
then X10 can still be the way to go. Ebay is a great place to pick up
new X10 devices really cheap.