Re: Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

As posted here over a year ago, I tried 12V MR16 LEDs for our landscape
lighting.  Even thought I bought warm white bulbs, the narrow spectrum
turned our red landscape rocks gray.  And the relatively narrow beamwidth
didn't work quite as well as the 20W halogens.  The one with 9 surface mount
LEDs did the best.  I also tried a 120V 4W Lumoform inside.  It worked well
for 4 watts.  However, it did get too hot to touch, and radiated a lot of
noise right at 121KHz.  That pretty much killed X10 control on that circuit
until it was isolated with a X10 filter.

Early this year I ran across a 5W 12V MR16 CFL made by Feit, and I tried a
couple of those in the landscape lights.  The broad beamwidth and warm color
worked better than the LEDs.  They also cost less than half as much as the
better LED bulbs at that time.  (The LED bulbs have dropped significantly in
price since then.)

I replaced all the 20W halogens with the 5W Feit CFLs.  There have been a
few early failures with one lot (2 right out of the package), but they have
been very good with the warranty service.  The CFLs are a better match for
my application, especially because of the wide beamwidth.  Only time will
tell whether they are more cost effective than the LEDs.

Jeff