Re: IBM bathroom patent symbolic of US patent ills

On Mar 28, 2:04 pm, "J.A. Legris" <jaleg...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mar 28, 4:29 pm, James Arthur <dagmargoodb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 27, 4:17 pm, Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-I...@My-
>
> > Web-Site.com> wrote:
> > > In the past I've done a lot of expert witness consulting.  This year,
> > > though, I've lost a lot of business by telling potential clients that
> > > their patent wasn't worth the powder to blow it to hell.
>
> > > Unfortunately I sure they found themselves an alternate "expert" who
> > > would swear to anything for a buck :-(
>
> > That's my experience too.  I call it "Newton's Third Law of Experts:
> > For every expert there's an equal and opposite expert."
>
> > Cheers,
> > James Arthur
>
> GImme a break. Why do you think they have juries? The problem is that
> a jury of one's peers in America

"jury of one's peers" is not how the court system in the US works.

Ideally it is supposed to be a jury of randomly selected people that
neither side can find a reason to remove.

In practice it is a jury of people who can't figure out how to get out
of jury duty.  Thus they end up being selected for being stupid.

> is a going to consist of a crowd
> composed of at least 50% goofy "Christians" (they're badly-schooled in
> that too) who cannot distinguish between evidence and sermons.

You have misunderstood the problem.  They don't know that there is a
difference.  They don't really understand what the word "evidence"
means.  They confuse it with "proof" and "truth".

> But I perceive a thin ray of hope - a vote for Obama is a vote for
> cool-headed rationalism

Merely voting for Oboma won't solve the problem.  You have to make
sure he wins.  Have you got the software card and screwdriver yet.
Remember, you must flip the machine over, undo the screws plug the
card in, power it on, wait for 12 sseconds, power it off, remove the
card and reassemble the unit as it was.  If you are slightly built,
you may want to get some hand weights to build up the strength in your
arms to be able to do it fast enough.