Re: IBM bathroom patent symbolic of US patent ills

"James Arthur" <dagmargoodboat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> On Mar 27, 4:17 pm, Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-I...@My-
> Web-Site.com> wrote:
>
>> In the past I've done a lot of expert witness consulting.  This year,
>> though, I've lost a lot of business by telling potential clients that
>> their patent wasn't worth the powder to blow it to hell.
>>
>> Unfortunately I sure they found themselves an alternate "expert" who
>> would swear to anything for a buck :-(
>
> That's my experience too.  I call it "Newton's Third Law of Experts:
> For every expert there's an equal and opposite expert."

Absolutely!  I have to tell you the most bizarre story related to this.

I was on a jury once.  Both the plaintiff and the defandent has their own
'expert' witness about a particular medical fact.  The opinions where
diametrically opposed.  But it turns out that the two experts were partners
in the same company.  We all had a good chuckle when that came out.

So I agree with your Newton's law analogy but somehow it makes me sad.  In
law it appears that the truth depends on how much you are willing to spend
for it.

Jim