Re: CFLs flicker when Wall Swtich WS467 is OFF

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 15:01:10 -0400, "Robert Green"
<ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<iK6dnSxWmJjpKH_anZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d@xxxxxxx>:

>I don't dim much either, but it would be nice to be able to.  My
>experience is that the dimmable CFLs do dim, but the dimming curve is
>quite unlike an equivalent tungsten bulb.

My experience also. There are several effects that make the dimming of a
CFL a different experience from dimming a typical incandescent lamp.

In my mind, there are at least three different 'regimes' in the dimming
effect of an incandescent lamp:

	1) A range near maximum output in which the output diminishes,
	   but the change in color temperature is minimal

	2) A greatly dimmed range in which the increased warmth (decrease
   	   in color temperature) is part-and-parcel of the 'dimming'
           effect

	3) a range near extinction in which the apparent illumination
	   of distant objects may be negligible depending in large part
	   on the status of our eyes' dark adaptation, but the lamp
	   filament produce a candle-like effect and provides a local
	   "point of light" which may be all that is needed or desired for
some purposes.

(I suspect that there are technical terms for these phenomena of which I
am ignorant (for now ;-)

By and large, dimming of CFLs don't have these 'regimes' so the actual
decrease in light output _seems_ less. Quantitative comparisons with a
light meter are illuminating (pun intended).

These effects are one of the reasons why LED lighting is becoming more
exciting with each incremental technological advance. The use of Red Green
Blue (RGB) arrays, sometimes controlled as in the entertainment lighting
arena by DMX512  (DMX-512 ; DMX-512a) make it possible to control color
temperature and illumination level _independently_.

In our kitchen we have both ceiling cans (which can be either/and
incandescent and CFLs, and dimmed, 12VDC MR26 lamps which can be either
LED Halogen incandescent. I 'spect that in the not too distant future I'll
be experimenting with RGB LEDs in that location.

Maybe with something like akin to this remote-controlled 5watt RGB Full
Color Mr26 LED Spotlight

http://eliteenterprises.trustpass.alibaba.com/product/100445376/5w_
RGB_Full_Color_Mr26_LED_Spotlight.html

... Marc

Visit my ongoing Home Automation and Electronics Internet Porch Sale at
www.ECOntrol.org/porch_sale.htm

Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org