Re: Open and Closr my Gate over the internet.

Really it is for a friends house.  The system they have is a Lorex
SG19LD804-161.  That is all they really have in the way of home
automation, I'm not sure I would even consider that as automation.
They figure I would be better to explain and understand what they have
and want.

I have just started looking into all this stuff myself.

The gate opens with a simple garage door type remote.  If I did run a
wire to the relay then how would I connect that to my PC or some other
system so I could open and close it over the internet.

The only thing I have really seen is x10 stuff.  I did purchase a
camera set from them about 4 years ago and was so disappointed in how
much you had to setup to get it to record to a VCR.  I did purchase
the USB connector so I could get it on my PC, but could never get that
to work.  So needless to say I do not have a lot of confidence in
them.  I know the system was not all the much so I really got what I
paid for.  I recently got the Dlink DCS-5220 IP Camera for my house
and am impressed at how clear the picture is and I like the PTZ
feature.  Plus it connectes to my PC so it does all the recording and
getting it to work over the internet was a snap.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  What are some good website were I
can read up on all this stuff and see what are some of my other
options.

Then next think I am going to look at is wireless alarm systems, but I
want connectors that are not these huge bricks like x10 has.

Thanks again,
Rodger