Re: Adding a an on/off switch to appliance that doesnt have one

"sylvan butler" <ZsdbUse1+noZs_0801@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 09:35:26 -0800 (PST), benn <benn686@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > I've got a few devices that dont have an on/off switch (the George
> > Foreman Grill, electric heater, etc)
> >
> > Anyone know of a commercial a/c plug that has an on/off switch?  Kind
> > of like a power strip but compact with only 1 plug?

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item=26321&section=11767

Nice catch, Sylvan.  Sometimes, when I want to add a switch to a fairly low
current device like a battery charger, I use a rocker or thumbwheel type
line cord switch, like one of these:

http://images.orgill.com/200x200/4345880.jpg

(the image from the ridiculously long URL below)

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/13-39-misc-lamp-parts/heavy-duty-in-line
-cord-switch-601217.aspx?CAWELAID=42465299

http://tinyurl.com/3592xg

Whatever the OP chooses, he should insure that the switch is rated for the
load.  The switch I chose (simply to illustrate what the switches look
like!) can carry only 3A, so it's completely unsuitable for a George Foreman
grill or a space heater.  The OP should be aware that the 13A Leviton might
not support a space heater running full out.  Line cord switches come in an
astonishing variety of designs and current carrying capabilities, so they
have to be matched to the job at hand.  I imagine that someone might even
make a switch similar to the Leviton that carries 15A.

For the ultimate "clean" solution, the OP might want to duplex the outlet
boxes and use toggle switches just above the controlled outlets.  A heck of
a lot more work than the switched plug option but just a tad more
streamlined.

--
Bobby G.