Re: Digital Tools Help Users Save Energy, Study Finds

"Robert Green" wrote:

> --- snip ---
> Sounds like a better way to do things than adding mercury to the
> environment in a commodity item sold by the millions (billions?)
> and trusting *everyone* to recycle religiously....

You still miss the point.  Regardless what other things people do to
reduce electrical demand, using more efficient bulbs -- even those
which contain small amounts of mercury -- will reduce mercury and
other forms of air pollution by more than the bulbs introduce.

It's analogous to taking a short-cut to work every day.  If I travel
one mile on the interstate vs. 2 miles on city streets, my car will
certainly add to the airpollution during that mile.  But it will add
*less* pollution than if I drove through the city.  I have to go to
work one way or another so I choose the more efficient route.

As pertains to mercury pollution CFL's are more efficient than
incandescents because (1) they introduce less mercury into the
environment and (2) the mercury is sent to landfills rather than into
the atmosphere where it is known to do far more harm.

You can thump the mercury drum all day long, Bobby, but you'll still
be wrong.  Getting Houdton to agree with you won't make you right
either.  He's an expert on being wrong.

> I still firmly believe that if the problem is coming OUT of power
> plant
> smokestacks, that's where it should be controlled...

That is one of the places where it needs to be addressed.

> The power plant operators have to be brought to the same level of
> social responsibility even though they'll kick and scream every
> inch of the way.

On that we agree.

--

Regards,