Re: Digital Tools Help Users Save Energy, Study Finds

I saw that article. There was another a few weeks back (NYT, IIRC) about a
company that manufactures equipment to generate electricity using waste heat
from smokestacks. The potential savings from both ideas is huge (4-5 times
the savings from CFLs) but most utilities are guaranteed a rate of return on
investment so they have no interest in reducing their plant & equipment -
the more they waste, the more they profit.

The smokestack generators could even be combined with scrubbers to remove
mercury and other pollutants.

But congress isn't likely to take on the electric power industry from whence
cometh campaign funds. Instead, they force CFLs on consumers. It's a twofer
as they can also collect campaign funds from Philips and Wallmart.

http://davehouston.net  http://davehouston.org