Re: Does any wall dimmer have overload protection?

 J Miller wrote:
> Dimmers should only be installed for switches that control lights, not
> outlets.  Regardless of HA abilities or not.
>
> What I've seen done, is to use an X10 wall switch (not dimmer), but
> then have a std (non-X10) tabletop dimmer for the lamp..  That way
> X10 can turn it on and off, but the lamp can still be dimmed (and the
> "dim setting" is remembered)

What I've done is use a lamp module at the outlet and a Leviton 16400
wall controller at the former switch location. The outlet remains
powered all the time and the lamp module is controlled by the wall
controller. Depending on faceplate selection, other units can be
controlled as well.