Re: Why cling to old X10?

"Dan Wright" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:i5NFi.80888

<stuff snipped>

> While I left X10 for ZWave, I do miss the richness of the product
offerings
> and the near perfect interoperability between vendors.  Zwave has been
100%
> in all of our installations, but to keep it tight, I have to stick to one
> vendor.

I find that at least a little odd since I was under the impression that
there was only one source of Z-wave chips.  With the heart of each Z-wave
device made by the same manufacturer, you'd think there would be near
perfect interoperability.  I recall that someone decided to add more hops to
their products, so it's probably fair to say that the Z-wave protocol is
still evolving.  Let's hope it's evolving and not devolving into
vendor-specific fiefdoms.

So far, no one's come close to offering the same range of products that X-10
has, and I am beginning to doubt that they will for a number of reasons, the
most important being that it takes a certain critical mass of users to
support such a rich palette.  People create new equipment with the hopes of
reaching the largest number of people and in the HA world, the largest user
base by far is still X-10.

--
Bobby G.