Re: XTB-II Enhanced Repeater

"Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:qG%Ei.81671$ax1.24920@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
> (much snipped)
>
>> Do you have a set of X-10 floodlights?

<stuff snipped>

> Yes, we do have X10 floodlghts.  The exterior lights can be controlled
from
> Leviton 16400 kepads at several locations in the house.  There has never
> been any problem with the XTB-II or XTB-IIR repeaters even if multiple
> repeat is enabled.
>
> The only problem we have with the X10 floodlights is that they often come
> on in response to lightning flashes.

Those floodlights have had a troubling history and I'm inclined to believe
it relates to how the units are configured.  I went to check on them at the
X-10 site because it's too hot to hit the attic and found they were using
this slogan to promote the floodlights:

<< It's a Parent's Edge & the Rebellious Teen's Nightmare! >>

Jumping Yehosaphat!  That's obviously not the place for detailed and
thoughtful explanations of the switch setting functions.  The ad is late
50's comic book style, about the same as "X-Ray Specs" and all the other odd
goodies that sold in those comic book backpage ads.

Trying again at:

http://www.smarthome.com/4080.html

at least they had the manual.  In Postscript.  Then I realized I had that
file, but it was called Motion Detector Model PR511.  Anyway, the bottom
line is that each unit has 16 different switch settings resulting in (if
MS's scientific calc is correct) 16! or 20922789888000 different possible
states.  Frequently we experience overheated discussions because one
person's experience with some piece of HW often doesn't match the
observations of another.  More often than not, they aren't really looking at
the same things.

> > When does the "big heat" end out there?  I heard that there were severe
> > power failures when the heat topped out at 120 degrees.   That's halfway
> > to boiling water.  Ouch!
>
> It is supposed to be topping 100 most of this week, but it is starting to
> cool down.

We've had a nasty hot summer here, too.  I can't wait for the Fall to arrive
although I can recall some pretty nasty heat waves in Sept and Oct.   I just
bought some temperature and humidity monitors with alarm settings that I am
hoping to be able to hack so that I can run the whole house fan based on
whether the outside air it's drawing in is cooler and drier than the inside
air that's being expelled.  Humidity is a big factor in the DC area and if I
based the fan's run time on temperature alone, it would result in some
sticky situations as it replaced dry, warmer house air with slightly cooler
but much more humid outside air.

--
Bobby G.