Re: Why cling to old X10?

"John, SW Missouri" <jmjones@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1189570056.561795.172800@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> My only excuse is my x10 works ;-)
>
> Every so often there might be a small glitch, but basically it's
> always been at least 99.9% reliable.

And IIRC, you rebuilt your home after a tornado and still chose X-10 as the
protocol of choice, even though that would have been the ideal time to move
up to something different.  The bottom line to the "why use it?" is that it
does indeed work most of the time and then next serious step up in
reliability carries a price tag that IMHO, doesn't compare favorably.  IOW,
paying four times as much for a light switch doesn't translate into four
times as reliable.

Once I found a source for X-10 filters for $5 each, I didn't feel so badly
about factoring in the cost of a filter for all the UPSs, PC's and switch
mode supplies I run into.  If you're willing to buy an XTB, a few filters
and a good X-10 meter, the X-10 world is quite tameable.  Look at how
quickly Bruce solved his glitch.  Sure it would be nice if X-10 were immune
to switch-mode power supplies, but since they didn't exist when X-10 was
invented, it was hard for the designers to forsee the problems those power
supplies would cause.

--
Bobby G.