Re: Use of FTP cable in home network

On Sep 29, 4:24 am, peternoon <petern...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have some FTP cable given to me to install the cabling in my new
> home. If I do not need the full shielding benefits of the cable, can I
> still use it with ordinary RJ45 sockets and pehaps ignore the earthing
> connections (and the earth wire in the cable)?

Only ground it at one end or the other, not both.  This way you wont
create any ground hum loops due to different ground impedances at the
ends (no two ground points in a house are at exactly the same
impedance unless its a power strip or something close).  When ground
impedances are off, current will flow in the shield and induce hum in
the core wires, this is commonly called a "ground hum loop".  Wired
intercom installers know this all too well.  Musicians know it too,
thats why sound equipment will often have a "ground lift" switch at
one end of the cable so that interconnects can still be shielded and
grounded without hum, by effectively breaking the shield at one end
with the lift switch preventing current flow.