Re: Use of FTP cable in home network

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 02:24:28 -0700, peternoon <peternoon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message  <1191057868.860450.272920@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>I have some FTP cable given to me to install the cabling in my new
>home. If I do not need the full shielding benefits of the cable, can I
>still use it with ordinary RJ45 sockets and pehaps ignore the earthing
>connections (and the earth wire in the cable)?

I installed a dozen 50-foot, shielded CAT5 cables with pre-installed,
molded, shielded RJ-45 connectors sold by IBM.  They work fine both
mechanically and electrically in conventional RJ45 sockets. In my
installation they are used mostly for DC analog signals but I see no
obvious reduction in ethernet speed in those that I pressed into service
for ethernet comms. The stiffness of the wire compared to unshielded CAT5
may or may not be a disadvantage.

HTH ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org