Re: Need more input

"Robert L Bass" <RobertLBass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:m3y2j.9033$ch.7150@xxxxxxxxxxx
> "Lewis Gardner" wrote:
>>
>> ABLE_1 wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the response.  However a bit confused here.  If I am
>>> using the RS485 to communicate between buildings why would I need
>>> to convert with the Lantronix device servers.  I would think I
>>> would just have to connect to the network with Ethernet card
>>> provided by Elk the ELK-M1XEP.  Or am I missing something???  Is
>>> there some advantage to what you are suggesting??
>
> Disclosure: Since I'm an ELK dealer my opinions are not entirely
> without bias.
>
> You can connect the three structures to the ELK-M1G system using
> RS485 rather than Ethernet.  Lighting and other modules can be
> installed in the remote structures as needed.  I'll have to check
> with ELK to determine compatibility with fiber converters but
> TTBOMK it's doable.

I spoke with ELK's tech support and they indicate there should be no
problem connecting their remote devices (keypads, lighting
controllers, etc) via fiber optic link.  The ELK RS485 operates at
38,400 baud so you'd want to select transceivers accordingly.  That
plus any other services such as LAN, video, etc., can share the same
fiber easily.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass