Re: Need more input

ABLE_1 wrote:
> Thanks for the response.  However a bit confused here.  If I am using the
> RS485 to communicate between buildings why would I need to convert with the
> Lantronix device servers.  I would think I would just have to connect to the
> network with Ethernet card provided by Elk the ELK-M1XEP.  Or am I missing
> something???  Is there some advantage to what you are suggesting??

The advantage is that you can run serial over a fiber with other network
traffic. This allows all buildings to have all the advantages of a
computer network AND the security/automation system over the same
physical media. In addition to computer in all buildings adding network
cameras is a piece of cake...

The ethernet module for the M1 is mostly for programming, virtual keypad
applications and sending email. Communicating with contact closures,
lighting systems, keypads and thermostats is over the serial bus.