Re: Need more input

"Lewis Gardner" wrote:

> ABLE_1 wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the response.  However a bit confused here.  If I am
>> using the RS485 to communicate between buildings why would I need
>> to convert with the Lantronix device servers.  I would think I
>> would just have to connect to the network with Ethernet card
>> provided by Elk the ELK-M1XEP.  Or am I missing something???  Is
>> there some advantage to what you are suggesting??

Disclosure: Since I'm an ELK dealer my opinions are not entirely
without bias.

You can connect the three structures to the ELK-M1G system using
RS485 rather than Ethernet.  Lighting and other modules can be
installed in the remote structures as needed.  I'll have to check
with ELK to determine compatibility with fiber converters but TTBOMK
it's doable.

> The advantage is that you can run serial over a fiber with other
> network traffic. This allows all buildings to have all the
> advantages of a computer network AND the security/automation system
> over the same physical media. In addition to computer in all
> buildings adding network cameras is a piece of cake...

True.  Just plan the bandwidth and features you need well before
selecting the Tx/Rx and fiber.  The process is not complicated but it
must be done to assure a successful installation.  Some of the
fiberoptics manufacturers offer online planning guides.  If you need
help feel free to contact us.

> The ethernet module for the M1 is mostly for programming, virtual
> keypad applications and sending email. Communicating with contact
> closures, lighting systems, keypads and thermostats is over the
> serial bus.

Correct.  I would also point out that the ELK M1G controller is a
solid security system as well as a robust home automation system.
It's also one of the few reasonably priced systems available for DIY.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics