Re: Ideas for a DIY ramp

> Thanks Robert, I'd come across the folding
> van ramps while chasing Bruce's search.
> I'm thinking it should be possible to build
> something out of plywood and 2x4s with
> some springs to help with the lift...
> The hardest part will be getting the springs
> right, so that they stay locked when open.
> I wouldn't want to launch someone with
> the 'ejector ramp'.

Heh, I imagine not.  Springs work OK...
unless/until they give out.  Have you ever
seen one of the old garage door springs
break?  One of my brothers used to volunteer
on a First Aid squad.  He told me how one
of the springs on the big door for their
garage -- big door: three ambulances side
by side -- broke.  It was like a steel bullwhip.

You might find it easier to set up a counter
balancing system with weights, cables and
pulleys.  Once you have a manageable load
a modified garage door opener might be just
the thing.  Are you handy with stuff like that
or more inclined to search out a "store
bought" solution?

--

Regards,