Re: X-10 AV switcher

"Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
news:46522b34.671090953@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Sun, 20 May 2007 08:31:30 -0400, "Robert Green"
> <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >Anyone know of a COTS (or easy to construct) X-10 based 4, 6 or 8 channel
AV
> >switcher capable of taking the typical yellow-red-white RCA type AV
> >connectors?  Those are the kind found on VCRs and such and I want to
switch
> >them, cascade style via a "pulse" from X-10 controller.  I want to be
able
> >to remotely switch a DVD player, the front door cam, the doggie cam and
the
> >VCR into a NEC AV monitor.

<stuff snipped>

> >The key requirement is that this can't generate the need for another
remote
> >or even learning another remote IR command - my learning remote is very
much
> >maxed out.  I still have two free "devices" CABLE and SAT I don't use in
my
> >setup (no cable box, no satellite!) that I could use to control a lot of
> >gear if I could translate those codes quickly into something an IR
> >controlled device like a switchbox, a fan, or even my AC window unit can
> >read

<stuff snipped>

> If you want to make a cheap switcher for yourself, you can make
> one from a $6.50 LED "chaser" kit and some treasistors/resistors.
> Below is a setup similar to the chaser I made for internet video
> switching. The below link shows the setup. The bottom link is
> where you can see switching audio and video between three video
> feeds using the transistors controlled via the parallel port.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/RSswitcher.htm
> http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/ppswitcher-demo.htm

Interesting items.  I'm looking for COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf) and
while it uses a COTS base (the Allelectronics "chaser" module) I want to
switch stereo audio as well as video, so that's going to get messy fast.
There seem to be a fair number of IR controllable units out there, as well
as more expensive RS232 units.  What I really want is a switch that can use
ANY IR remote to activate it.

I'm am considering pulling my drape controller off the wall to see if it's
obvious what they are doing to be able to learn an IR code from any remote.
I was really impressed by that because they appeared to have understood the
SAF of one less remote hanging around.  Unfortunately, I've been known to
wreck perfectly stable systems for "analytical" reasons and those incidents
have very low SAF.

A drape controller and a sequential switcher can both be operated with a
single pulse.  When either receives a control pulse the drapes are either
open or closed, and the switch moves on to the next input.  Ironically, the
company that makes them appears to be out of business because so far, the
cheapest solution to the IR learning part of my problem would have been to
buy another drape controller and cannibalize its IR learning controller.

The schematics were helpful (and also wonderfully drawn freehand!).  They
may have explained why one video switch unit I have introduced some serious
ground loop problems.  There's a lot to consider when tying five different
pieces of consumer electronics together.

It seems the rather pricey IRTRANS that Dave pointed out is what I need to
put the biggest part of my problem to bed, and that's extending the useful
life of the X-10 learning remotes and presenting the user with a consistent
user interface.  Almost all of the AV world can be dealt with by a much
smaller subset of keys than are found on most factory remotes.

Since my wife and I are both tactile-oriented users of remotes, I'm willing
to spend serious $ to maintain nearly ten years of fingertip training.  I
think one of the most important reasons *I* like them is that almost
everything I need to do is in the same area of the remote.  I've got a few
factory remotes where you have to finger them like Jimmy Hendrix playing
"Axis" just to perform common functions.  Sheesh.

There it is.  More than you ever wanted to know about why I want an IR AV
switcher that can learn MY remotes codes instead of my remote learning ITS
codes.   There has to be some ceiling fan controller or some other device
that has a similar learning controller that I can hack.  If I can reliably
generate a remote switching pulse I can probably figure out how to hack a
commercial AV switcher to use those control pulses to switch it.

--
Bobby G.