Re: Ideas for a DIY ramp

"Robert L Bass" <no-sales-spam@bassburglaralarms> wrote in message
news:j96dnVCKMM5wwtvbnZ2dnUVZ_h6vnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Thanks Robert, I'd come across the folding
>> van ramps while chasing Bruce's search.
>> I'm thinking it should be possible to build
>> something out of plywood and 2x4s with
>> some springs to help with the lift...
>> The hardest part will be getting the springs
>> right, so that they stay locked when open.
>> I wouldn't want to launch someone with
>> the 'ejector ramp'.
>
> Heh, I imagine not.  Springs work OK...
> unless/until they give out.  Have you ever
> seen one of the old garage door springs
> break?  One of my brothers used to volunteer
> on a First Aid squad.  He told me how one
> of the springs on the big door for their
> garage -- big door: three ambulances side
> by side -- broke.  It was like a steel bullwhip.
>
> You might find it easier to set up a counter
> balancing system with weights, cables and
> pulleys.  Once you have a manageable load
> a modified garage door opener might be just
> the thing.  Are you handy with stuff like that
> or more inclined to search out a "store
> bought" solution?

Yeah fairly handy.  DIY vs. buy depends on the mark up, my time, my dollars,
projects in the queue, my interest in the project and my familiarity with
the subject.

I've heard the spring horror stories, but I would not be dealing with
anything near as heavy as a garage door. I imagine somewhere around 30 lbs.