new to automation/x10

Hey all,
I am new to Home Automation/x10 and wanted to know where to start?
I was on the x10.com website and they have some great bundles, but is
there more to it than just replacing light switches, installing a
control panel and hooking everything up to be controlled by my
computer?
Basically, here's what I want to do.
I want to be able to automate across the internet my lights, some
appliances, watch my cameras from in home/remotely, (I was looking at
the floodlight cam for my back yard, and 3 xcam2's (car port, front
door, back door), motion detection through out my house and yard.  (I
have a nice house in a bad neighborhood).
So, since this seems to be rather inexpensive (relatively), is this
the way I want to go?

Thanks!
Kelly