Re: new to automation/x10

Kelly Wilkins wrote:
> Hey all,
> I am new to Home Automation/x10 and wanted to know where to start?
> I was on the x10.com website and they have some great bundles, but is
> there more to it than just replacing light switches, installing a
> control panel and hooking everything up to be controlled by my
> computer?
> Basically, here's what I want to do.
> I want to be able to automate across the internet my lights, some
> appliances, watch my cameras from in home/remotely, (I was looking at
> the floodlight cam for my back yard, and 3 xcam2's (car port, front
> door, back door), motion detection through out my house and yard.  (I
> have a nice house in a bad neighborhood).
> So, since this seems to be rather inexpensive (relatively), is this
> the way I want to go?
>
> Thanks!
> Kelly

X-10 cameras aren't your best choice.  Their resolution sucks.  I figure
you're just aiming to throw your money away if you're leaning towards
the "cheap" or "inexpensive" side for that.  For cameras you can view in
your regular browser, have a look at http://www.gfxsurveillance.ca.
They offer a wide range of "mid-priced" solutions that should "fit the
bill".  There are tons of links to other web enabled surveillance
cameras.  http://www.worthdist.com is pretty popular.  And they have
even (on occasion) had better pricing on X-10 than say "X-10"...  :-)

As for controlling your lights, etc., X-10 still remains one of the more
popular automation solutions with lots of gear and support out there.