Re: N:Vision CFL's

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 15:48:10 GMT, nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) wrote in
message  <460645f0.767533328@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>I'm interested in your light meter numbers. Don Klipstein (Great Internet
>Lightbulb Page) says most CFLs he has measured put out significantly less
>light than claimed. He doesn't say that about the n:vision ones but he did
>note that they buzzed.

Measurements that I previously posted indicate that the n:vision nominal 60
watt lamps apparently put out _more_ light than the nominal 60-watt lamp that
they replace.

"they buzzed"?

Since my experience with about 17 n:vision CFL to date is that _none_ buzz
unless provoked by a dimmer, I decided to see why there was a direct conflict
between what Don Klipstein is stated has having written  and what I have
experienced. I've read Don's pages and posts for ~5 years and what he has
written has always struck me as reliable.

Dave doesn't provide a url, so here is one of them
http://members.misty.com/don/cfbest.html

At Don's site I discovered that he actually wrote 'Beware that a 30 watt "120
watt equivalent" one in my experience has a slight buzzing sound, although
lower wattages do not have this problem.'

and:

"It is to be noted that lower wattages from 23 watts on down do not buzz at
all in my experience. "

And elsewhere where he also wrote that larger ones buzzed, he states that
"those that have gained Energy Star approval may have corrected any buzzing
sound problems and sites the models.

And ABIR, all the en:vision CFLs I saw, and all that I bought, have Energy
Star approval.

So it seems that Dave's characterization of the findings  that "they buzz" is
flat-out false with respect to the 120-watt-equivalents or less and out-dated
with respect to the larger lamps.

And that a un-biased reporting of what Don Klipstein actually wrote would
have avoided any confusion.

...Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECONtrol.org