Re: Need help for Engineering Management project

On 27 Mar 2007 12:30:53 -0700, clay.maffett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote in
message  <1175023853.243616.212120@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>First of all, thank you to everyone who has posted thus far on this
>topic.  I have learned a lot by following the discussion my first
>little post ignited, and I guess I'll use an outline-style response to
>summarize everything I'd like to say:

Thank you for summarizing. It greatly increases the usefulness of usenet.
A long series of posts without a summary is much harder to use than even a
well organized report without an abstract or executive summary. In case it
is not clear, one reason for helping you is to also provide answers for
other folks. Hence the common refrain with respect to Frequently Asked
Questions in newsgroups that "Google is your friend".

>If anything, energy management will be
>improved by home automation.  What if you could set energy quotas for
>your family's expenditures?  And then pay the bills online rather than
>through the mail?  Construction codes and the like would be met
>because the iBode is a system that is installed when the house in
>being built, not after.

The www.Savoysoft.com,  the company that developed the CyberHouse HA
software that I used for years, engaged in extensive real-world trials of
residential and commercial energy management during ~1999-2001.

Partners Cutler-Hammer (now Eaton),  a 150-store retail chain in
California and a the power utility serving a large suburban residential
development in Texas IIRC.  Parts of the work were funded by federal
research dollars.

See for example:

" SAVOY AUTOMATION AND CUTLER-HAMMER POISED TO REVOLUTIONIZE ENERGY
MANAGEMENT. Savoy and Cutler-Hammer Team Up to Provide Innovative
Intelligent Load Center ..."
www.hometoys.com/htinews/feb99/releases/savoy02.htm

Hardware was provided by Cutler-Hammer Advanced Power Center.

http://www.eatonelectrical.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?GXHC_GX_jst
=c7014444662d6164&GXHC_JSESSIONID=26be607ac210a176&pagename=
C-H/Common/AssetTemplateLink&c=Apubarticles&cid=983558198813&
Sec=products

It was/is a subpanel that met UL requirements and could accurately measure
and control 120 and 240 VAC loads and communicate with home automation
software over a variety of protocols including, depending on
configuration,  INCOM, Cebus, RS-232 and X-10.

However, it never turned the corner and was a complete bust commercially
ABIK.

I have a hardly used (it was a demo) Advanced Power Center panel with
sensors, controllable breakers and controller with INCOM and Cebus
interface and RS-232-->INCOM converter that I will be putting up for sale
in my upcoming (when Marc ? When! ;-) personal Photo-HA-Electronics Porch
Sale. it has other Cebus stuff including keypad/controller, thermostats
switches and so on in a large aluminum travel case.

.. Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.neuralhome.org
www.neuralhome.com