Re: Need help for Engineering Management project

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 14:17:07 GMT, "Steve" <nobodyhere@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
in message  <CNuOh.13774$_c5.10137@attbi_s22>:

>"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> <clay.maffett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>>> Usenet was born before I was; I know what it is and just
>>> didn't realize what Google Groups actually did.  Sorry, Bill.
>>
>> While some pedants and purists prefer that people use newsreaders to
>> access the net and persecute those that don't, I'm not sure that's a
>> pressing requirement anymore. A while back old-timers used to scoff at
>> those with an AOL email addresses as clueless newbies.  That dubious >>
torch has passed the Google Groups.  (-:  Google doesn't make the
>> distinction very clear  between the groups they sponsor and the Usenet
>> groups they index.  Your mistake is one that thousands of others have
>> made because Google likes it that way! It makes it seems as if they own
Usenet.

>You are forgetting top posting and the use of Outlook Express.  However,
>clearly the most reviled and mocked users come not from AOL or Google,
>but  WebTV.

We may be _trying_ to forget WebTV ;-)

The usefulness of usenet is that information is usefully organized. Trying
to use usenet even correctly with the interface aol provided was like
trying to organize filing cabinets without knowing the alphabet.

Some folks aren't organized and no software will ever solve that problem
for them.

Although not absolutely necessary, threaded newsreaders make it much
easier to maintain the structural organization that was the innovation and
remains a key feature of usenet .

You can drive a screw with a hammer, but it isn't pretty. Just like
many/most bad cabinet makers probably don't know or care how bad their
product is, folks that scramble up usenet with disorganized thoughts and
posts probably don't understand/care either.

Sometimes  their messes get cleaned up, sometimes not. Usenet is replete
with destroyed and(or) failed newsgroups.

.. Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org