Re: Need help for Engineering Management project

"Steve" <nobodyhere@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:CNuOh.13774

<stuff snipped>

> > A while back old-timers used to scoff at those with AOL email addresses
> > as clueless newbies.  That dubious torch has passed the Google Groups.
>
> You are forgetting top posting and the use of Outlook Express.  However,
> clearly the most reviled and mocked users come not from AOL or Google, but
> WebTV.

I don't know how I could have skipped over the WebTV invasion!

Talk about folks who were dumped into Usenet with zero (and IMHO, actually
very negative) preparation.  Sociologically speaking, it was a great
reminder that there are lots of different people in America.  Some of them
deserve a lot of credit for figuring out what was what - eventually.  I have
no right to criticize, though.  As an incorrigible top poster and Outlooker,
I've been repeatedly lectured on the error of my ways.  What's the old ZZ
Top song?  "I'm baaaaadddd, I'm nationwide."

The way people seem to interact with each other electronically leads me to
wonder what will happen when smart homes get so smart they become sentient.
At some point computers will easily pass the Turing test and have IQ's at
least indistinguishable from any other Usenet poster.  Will empty summer
homes cruise the future Homenet in the wintertime, looking for love?

I have to admit, when I fired up my first IBM PC and listened to it play its
repertoire of Basica speaker tone songs, I never expected its descendants to
allow me to communicate daily with people all over the world, order just
about anything I might need and even work from home.  I really can't imagine
life *without* the internet, now.  Chatting with someone who wasn't even
alive when Usenet was born really indicates how much things in a single
generation now.

--
Bobby G.