Re: N:Vision CFL's

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:7pGdnZqxp_Z2-prbnZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxx

> Technical documents probably lend themselves the most to "pan and scan"
> type
> reading.  But PDF's are hardly device independent, and that was one of the
> features of the web that made it so effective to begin with.  The HTML
> browser lays out the page depending on your display and text size
> preferences.  PDFs are a real bitch for the visually impaired compared to
> web page that allows for dynamic text re-sizing.  Based on the finely
> detailed work in your XTB's, your vision is far better than mine.
>
> What display settings are you using?  What size monitor?  I'll bet you're
> running at much higher resolution than what I use.  I run at 800 by 600 on
> 21" monitor and have problems seeing even at those settings.  My browser
> settings are for "largest text" and most HTML pages correctly handle that
> increased magnification and allow me to read without resorting to a clumsy
> screen magnifier program.  That  minor difference alone can make the PDF
> experience just fine for one person and agonizing for another.  That's
> even
> before one considers how much more security exposure is required to view
> anything that's not standard HTML in a web browser.
>
> There may be no avoiding PDF's in the modern web world, but they're
> dreadfully overused.  Web stuff should be HTML based.  Stuff like PDF's
> and
> Active-X just add proprietary hooks to something that was designed to be
> the
> ultimate "open system" and should be avoided just on general principle.
> (-:
> That's my take on it, anyway.

This computer is 1280 x 1024 on a 17" monitor, but my office computer is
1024 x 768 on a decade old 14" monitor.  I do understand your argument for
the visually impaired.

Since I store documents locally, I like the easy portability and compact
size of PDF documents.  I wonder how large a typical 200 page PIC manual
would be in HTML...  Then there is the portability issue and broken links.

I have never heard of any security issue associated with PDF files.

Jeff