Re: N:Vision CFL's

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:wtmdnSruJahHmJrbnZ2dnUVZ_sSmnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxx
> "Dave Houston" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> For commercial users, PDF makes sense because they are not as easily
>> tampered with as other formats. OpenOffice makes creating them easy (and
>> free) while Adobe supplies a free reader.
>
> They're completely over-used, IMHO, by folks too lazy to create an HTML
> page.   PDF's are designed for mythical beings who possess with two,
> vertically oriented, specially oversized monitors running side by side
> from
> a dual head graphics card. I always feel like I am wearing blinders when I
> read them because if I increase the magnification to the level where I can
> read the print, then I have to pan and scan like a madman.  If I truly
> NEED
> the information, I'll lower my security settings and DL one (and usually
> print it out!).

I have to agree with Dave here.

PDF is pretty much the standard for distribution of technical information.
I've got gazillions of PDF documents stored locally, and can conveniently
access them whenever necessary.  No fancy monitor or graphic card is
required.  I was using them years ago with a crappy graphics card and a 14"
monitor.  A quick scan through my semiconductor "bookshelf" shows PDF
documents dating back to 1996.  I do miss the old databooks though.

Jeff