Re: Drilling for conduit

"Bill Stock" <me7@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:56og1qF2aa4obU1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > "Bill Stock" <me7@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >
> > I've used a microcam and white LED taped together to look into holes
where
> > I've encountered unexpected obstructions (a broken off hammer head!),
but
> > helper, a teeny flashlight (I use a $12 fiber optic attachment that
> > MagLite
> > sells for its AA flashlight) and some inspection holes along the
> > *intended*
> > path of the bit works well.
>
> I like the inspection cam idea, where did you buy and what model? I put a
> day/night cam on a model car once to inspect the larger hot air ducts. :-)
> Yeah, I'm sure there is something else in the way between the top plate
and
> the sole plate, based on my previous drilling adventures.

There's *always* something funky in between the studs.  At least there has
been in my experience when drilling more than one hole.  After angsting
about drilling through the overstressed joists in my basement for weeks, I
finally decided to strap the vacuum cleaner pipes to the joist bottoms.  Not
as clean, and it will cost me a few inches come finishing time, but no
amount of engineering assurances made me feel comfortable enough to bore
2.5" holes in support lumber in this old house!

The first camera I bought was a small head with the electronics further down
the cable.  PC233XP Color Microvideocam at Supercircuits.com.  It cost $134
but I had other uses for it, so it wasn't just a "search cam."

http://www.supercircuits.com/index.asp?txtSearch=snake&PageAction=PRODSEARCH

Sadly, it's not listed anymore.  Only much more expensive cameras, but
that's not a problem.   As these things often go, I ended up using the
microhead camera elsewhere because the smaller cam's "electronics bulge" got
caught on a nail point sticking out of a stud.  I thought I was going to
lose the whole freaking thing inside the wall but a few minutes of nervous
fishing freed it.

It turned out that I had an ExView color bullet cam that lost its water seal
and had to be retired from outdoor service but was still quite useful once
it had dried out.  I realized then that the smooth, streamlined design of
the bulletcam was useful to avoid nailpoint and splinter snags. Since I had
it opened up to try to restore the seals, I was able to adjust the focus to
much closer than its stock setting.  Whatever camera you get, close focus
ability is an absolute must.

I had a tiny USB Targus LED for lighting laptop screens that I wasn't happy
with so I cannibalized it and taped it to the side of the bullet cam.  It
has a nice, diffuse light perfect for hole scanning!  Since the cable comes
out the back, bullet cams turn out to be pretty useful for "diving."  I've
got a little 13" color TV with AV inputs that makes a good viewscreen for
searching.  I tried using a small LCD handheld, but the resolution's not
good enough to make sense of the jumble of junk that's often sitting on the
sill plate.

> > You might be able to detect the drill shaft with a studfinder as well,
but
> > I've never tried it because I never had a studfinder that would be as
good
> > as a small viewing hole.  If you're drilling big holes, you're going to
do
> > patching work on the walls anyway . . . At least that was my opinion.  I
> > was
> > drilling 2 3/8" holes in oak flooring for central vacuuming outlets.
>
> After taking the wall apart for the third time, I built a permant hatch
with
> J Channel and drywall. It doesn't look TOO bad all painted up. So access
is
> not an issue. There's a similar hatch inside the kitchen cupboards on the
> main floor.

It's easy to see why plumbers have been using access panels for a long, long
time.

> > What I would really like is one of the X-ray rigs they use to scan
trucks
> > at
> > border for illegal immigrants.  No doubt about where the drill's going
if
> > you can see it through the wall.

I'll be there's some hi-tech gyroscopic GPS laser control system for
professionals who install a dozen central vacuums a week.

--
Bobby G.