Re: Drilling for conduit

"Bill Stock" <me7@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> I've read that a forstener bit with a right angle adapter is the best tool
> for the job. But considering I need to drill about 12", I'm wondering how
> difficult it is to control this beast and keep the hole close to straight.
> know from my previous adventures that the three stud walls don't line up
too
> well. I was hoping that there is some sort of guide that I could mount
> between the studs to keep the hole straight.

I've found the secret is to drill inspection holes and have a helper report
the bit position as you drill down.

I've used a microcam and white LED taped together to look into holes where
I've encountered unexpected obstructions (a broken off hammer head!), but a
helper, a teeny flashlight (I use a $12 fiber optic attachment that MagLite
sells for its AA flashlight) and some inspection holes along the *intended*
path of the bit works well.

You might be able to detect the drill shaft with a studfinder as well, but
I've never tried it because I never had a studfinder that would be as good
as a small viewing hole.  If you're drilling big holes, you're going to do
patching work on the walls anyway . . . At least that was my opinion.  I was
drilling 2 3/8" holes in oak flooring for central vacuuming outlets.

What I would really like is one of the X-ray rigs they use to scan trucks at
border for illegal immigrants.  No doubt about where the drill's going if
you can see it through the wall.

--
Bobby G.