Re: N:Vision CFL's

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 13:15:50 GMT, "Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote in
message  <aIPNh.12223$f56.10649@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>"Marc_F_Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
>> And I note that the n:vision CFLs I have installed in an INSTEON system
>> devices has none of the problems you describe (although I have mostly used
>> the 60-watt equivalent).
>
>The couple I installed here work fine on X10.  Both a lamp module and
>Leviton 16383 wall switch work perfectly to switch them ON and OFF.  Note
>that both the Leviton wall switch and the X10 lamp module do have neutral
>for signal return.

That's good to hear. X-10 is still the only PLC implementation that I know of
that work with wall switch wiring with only two wires. It would be useful to
find CFLs that work with that hardware.

Having replaced about 25 X-10 devices with INSTEON, I find myself with a
handful of lights in  non-critical areas where there is not the required hot,
neutral and switched conductors needed for INSTEON, much less for centralized
hard-wired. But these are also some places where if a light is inadvertently
left on, it might go unnoticed for days, so being able to turn them off
automatically every (eg) midnight would be useful.

My choices seem to be :
1) Rewire for  INSTEON or hard-wired lighting
2) RF
3) X-10 2-wire
4) no automation

I could install hot and neutral from the same breaker but I'd have to run all
the way back to the entrance panel to do so in order to be safe and not
violate code (as I understand it).

Some locations still have X10 WS467s that I never pulled. I'll check to see
if the n:vision 60-watts work there. If I use them in on-off mode (which was
all the control I had locally anyway) I may be satisfied with reliability and
performance.

I have both an ACT103 and your XTB, so I could add the X-10 automated control
back in and program the use of X-10 so that it tries to avoid sending any
X-10 during time slots of likely INSTEON activity.

If this works, it would be the most cost effective and quickest solution.

Do you have any recommendations for moderately priced 2-wire wall
switches/dimmers with better tactile response than the WS467?

TIA ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org