Re: Insteon/X10

"Marc_F_Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:05:30 -0400, "Robert Green"
> <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> >I'm hoping my next trip to Home Depot to buy the bulbs Marc suggested
will
> eliminate some of the issues I've experienced (flashing, line noise,
signal
> sucking and unintended relighting).  (Marc, if you're reading this, can
you
> post the UPC codes of the CFL's you mentioned? It's been useful in helping
> locate stock they didn't know they had before.)
>
> n:vision 14 watt/ 60watt equivalent:
>
>    UPC       SKU
> Soft White ~2700K 6214858144 423-599
> Bright White ~3500K 6214851035 160-678
> Day Light ~5500K 6214851055 161-167

Thanks, Marc.  I'll print out those numbers and tuck them in my wallet for
the next shopping trip.  Can you recall the maximum wattage available for
these bulbs?  One of the recurring issues I have with CFL's is that high
wattage bulbs tend to be so long that they stick out beyond the reflectors
of the fixtures I use, creating some pretty garish shadows from the
undiffused light source.

> But the permanent n:vision display at our local Home Depot is about 8 feet
> x 12 feet wide . Hard to miss. About a dozen different types of n:vision
> brand CFLs. Which is about one-sixth of the CFL assortment available at
>  www.1000bulbs.com

I'm hoping that this is a country-wide promotion.  However, I've found a
great disparity in what the local HD's stock from store to store.  Much more
DIY stuff in the blue collar areas, much less in areas where there's little
new construction and the mean income is much higher.

> Be forewarned that I still haven't found my oscilloscope (a PCMCIA card
> that was in my shirt pocket but has now has disappeared, hopefully not
into
> the laundry ...)  and haven't looked quantitatively at the noise levels.

In the truly smart home of the future you'd just say "Where is my
oscilloscope" and a little robot will appear, oscilloscope in its waldos.

> I use INSTEON, not X-10 with these CFLs and as 'they' say,  "Works for me"
> ;-)

Let's hope they do as well with X-10 without requiring local sensectomies
and/or additional filter modules.  If they do, I'll buy a case and begin
selling them on Ebay to frustrated fellow X-10'ers.  (-:

I recall seeing something recently that implied the competition from CFL's
is driving down the price of incandescent lightbulbs.  My limited experience
agrees, since I seem to able to buy the name brand incandescent for less
than a quarter apiece.

--
Bobby G.