Re: Troubleshooting Channel Vision IR-Over-Coax

Thanks for the reply Bobby.  Here are my thoughts on your thoughts:

> First thing to do would be to try to get hold of their tech support.

Yep...I've been working with them but was hoping for a second opinion
from this group -perhaps someone had already encountered the same
issue.

> Which two?  Your 120' runs or the two shorter runs?

Any 2 runs - both 120' runs work if it's just those 2, or any
combination of 2.

> Have you taken a DC voltmeter to various points on the cable?  That might
> tell you if you've got too much of a voltage loss.

That's my next step, and also recommended by CV tech support.  I've
also ordered a line tester to see if I have a short somewhere.
Hopefully it's one of those 2 things - then I'll have the issue of
fixing it, but at least I'll know what the problem is.

> I would try covering all but one of the receivers at a time, with all four
> connected.  With IR setups it's very possible that stray IR light is
> overwhelming the system.  One way to check for that is to cover up the
> receivers, test, then eventually remove the other three covers, one at a
> time.  It might be helpful to cover them with metal cans while testing.  IR
> receivers can often pick up stray EMI if the source is close enough. IR
> receivers are typically located near strong EMI sources like TV's.

Good advice.  These targets are supposed to be sheilded (they should
be - for $55 a piece), but that's good advice.  If I don't have any
shorts and the voltage checks out, I'll stick each target in an
aluminum can one at a time.

I should know something by the weekend - will post back with the
findings to complete the thread for future reference.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  -Rob