Re: Troubleshooting Channel Vision IR-Over-Coax

"Rob Ivy" <robivy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Thanks for the reply Bobby.  Here are my thoughts on your thoughts:
>
> > First thing to do would be to try to get hold of their tech support.
>
> Yep...I've been working with them but was hoping for a second opinion
> from this group -perhaps someone had already encountered the same
> issue.

Good.  I sometimes forget the basics myself and it's always useful to report
the problem so that they at least have a shot at it!  (-:

> > Which two?  Your 120' runs or the two shorter runs?
>
> Any 2 runs - both 120' runs work if it's just those 2, or any
> combination of 2.

That sounds very much like a voltage drop problem.  If you had a problem
sensor, it would present differently.  Whenever it was included in a
combination of two, it should cause the whole IR net to fail.  Apparently,
it doesn't.

> > Have you taken a DC voltmeter to various points on the cable?  That
might
> > tell you if you've got too much of a voltage loss.
>
> That's my next step, and also recommended by CV tech support.  I've
> also ordered a line tester to see if I have a short somewhere.
> Hopefully it's one of those 2 things - then I'll have the issue of
> fixing it, but at least I'll know what the problem is.

Let us know what you find.  Michael's comment about wire size is probably
the real key here.  What kind of cable are you using?

> > I would try covering all but one of the receivers at a time, with all
four
> > connected.  With IR setups it's very possible that stray IR light is
> > overwhelming the system.  One way to check for that is to cover up the
> > receivers, test, then eventually remove the other three covers, one at a
> > time.  It might be helpful to cover them with metal cans while testing.
IR
> > receivers can often pick up stray EMI if the source is close enough. IR
> > receivers are typically located near strong EMI sources like TV's.
>
> Good advice.  These targets are supposed to be sheilded (they should
> be - for $55 a piece), but that's good advice.  If I don't have any
> shorts and the voltage checks out, I'll stick each target in an
> aluminum can one at a time.

I'd concentrate my effort on looking for a voltage drop so severe that the
electronics stop functioning.  It may take an amplifier to correct, as
suggested.  The fact that any two work but more don't really points to a
systemic problem rather than a failed or erratic component.

> I should know something by the weekend - will post back with the
> findings to complete the thread for future reference.

Great.  Appreciate the feedback.

> Thanks for taking the time to reply.  -Rob

I'm surprised so few others did.  Oh well.

--
Bobby G.