Re: Switch Module for Complact Fluorescent Bulbs

"Marc_F_Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 13:47:28 -0400, Marc_F_Hult
> <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> <qjhtv2tg8706ak2jnmjetrnf6ljvgrgv5f@xxxxxxx>:
>
> >On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:39:46 -0400, Stan Rinkunas
> ><stop.rink01sfr.spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> ><j4btv29ush69lhr5uivh79i4fcbngc00qp@xxxxxxx>:
> >
> >>Does anyone know of modules for fully in-outlet-box mounting that has
> >>a true switch or relay with open contacts - not a solid state switch.
> >>
> >>I want to use the new commonly available CF bulbs and have my control
> >>modules mounted in the outlet boxes.  I am open to consider any HA
> >>system that has these modules.  I prefer not to have to buy "special"
> >>CF bulbs.
> >>
> >>Thanks.
> >
> >There are INSTEON has wall-switches with relays. I use two (one master,
> one
> >slave = remote) in my basement to control a mixture of about a dozen CFls
> >and T12 and T8 fluorescents. Works perfectly.
> >
> >In my experience, CFLs also work flawlessly with the four types of
INSTEON
> >dimmers I've used when operated in an ON-OFF fashion. However if the CFLs
> >are not designed and sold to be dimmed, there will/may be obnoxious
> >flashing and buzzing as the lamp is _dimmed_ below ~15-20%. This could
> harm
> >the CFL, dimmer or both (I dunno yet).
> >
> >X-10 dimmer switches are a different matter in part because many (eg
> WS467)
> >X-10 dimmers don't have a direction connection to neutral and derive the
> >power they need to operate through the lamp filament. These
> >characteristically do not work with only typical fluorescent lamps in the
> >circuit. Adding a small incandescent in parallel can solve the problem.
> >There are, of course, also fluorescent-friendly X-10 switches. They
> >should/will be identified as such by the manufacturer and retailer.
> >
> >... Marc
> >Marc_F_Hult
> >www.ECOntrol.org
>

> I just re-read what you wrote and my response.
>
> All X-10 and INSTEON ON-OFF (= "appliance") modules of the sort mounted on
> duplex outlets (Is that what you meant?)  should work jist fine with all
> CFLs.
>
> No "special" CFLs required (or available) to work with appliance modules.
> But see my comments above for using fluorescents (compact or otherwise)
> with _dimmers and X-10 wall switches/dimmers that don't use a neutral
> connection.

I found that when using X-10 appliance modules with recently purchased GE
CFL's it was necessary to disable the "local sense" feature to prevent the
bulb from flashing after being turned off.  In many cases, the lamp would
even turn itself back on.  We
have quite a few antique table and floor lamps running CFL's and this
behavior was particularly noticeable on the latest batch of GE 26W
26HT3/2/SW CFL bulbs purchased at Target.

In addition to having their "local sense" diode circuit snipped, these lamps
often require plug-in X-10 filters so that the lamps can be turned off
*after* they have been turned on.  In the ON state some CFL lamps begin
emitting enough noise in the X-10 signal range to prevent the module
controlling those CFL(s) from properly receiving a remotely transmitted
"off" signal.  I believe CFL's have been implicated in a number of the "I
can turn the lamp on, but not off, remotely" scenarios we have read about
here.

There has also been some speculation that the trickle current that does no
great harm to incandescent bulbs may indeed lead to premature failure in CFL
bulbs.  The flashing that occurs when the small current used by the
appliance module to sense the toggling of the local control switch
(typically found on table and floor lamps) tells me that CFL's were probably
not designed to tolerate even a small leakage current passing through them.

--
Bobby G.