Re: Switch Module for Complact Fluorescent Bulbs

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:39:46 -0400, Stan Rinkunas
<stop.rink01sfr.spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<j4btv29ush69lhr5uivh79i4fcbngc00qp@xxxxxxx>:

>Does anyone know of modules for fully in-outlet-box mounting that has
>a true switch or relay with open contacts - not a solid state switch.
>
>I want to use the new commonly available CF bulbs and have my control
>modules mounted in the outlet boxes.  I am open to consider any HA
>system that has these modules.  I prefer not to have to buy "special"
>CF bulbs.
>
>Thanks.

There are INSTEON has wall-switches with relays. I use two (one master, one
slave = remote) in my basement to control a mixture of about a dozen CFls
and T12 and T8 fluorescents. Works perfectly.

In my experience, CFLs also work flawlessly with the four types of INSTEON
dimmers I've used when operated in an ON-OFF fashion. However if the CFLs
are not designed and sold to be dimmed, there will/may be obnoxious
flashing and buzzing as the lamp is _dimmed_ below ~15-20%. This could harm
the CFL, dimmer or both (I dunno yet).

X-10 dimmer switches are a different matter in part because many (eg WS467)
X-10 dimmers don't have a direction connection to neutral and derive the
power they need to operate through the lamp filament. These
characteristically do not work with only typical fluorescent lamps in the
circuit. Adding a small incandescent in parallel can solve the problem.
There are, of course, also fluorescent-friendly X-10 switches. They
should/will be identified as such by the manufacturer and retailer.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org