Re: leviton vizia RF switches (Z-wave)

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 14:25:23 -0400, "David Rothman"
<drothman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<2kBKh.1986$Ru2.347@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>i've been using x10 for years.  i simply can't/won't use it if there are
>viable alternatives (albeit more pricey ones). thanks

Whether you use X-10 or some other Power Line Control (PLC, eg: UPB,
INSTEON, various flavors of ethernet over powerline) you might find Jeff
Volp's suggestions helpful.

Key in my opinion is to have a map (i.e., schematic, or diagram) of your
home's wiring so that you can understand the relationship and geometry
between devices, noise sources, signal extenuators and AC phases.

A strategy that would apply to all these technologies that IIRC Jeff has
applied in his house to X-10, is to put the PLC devices on one phase and
as many of the noise producers and signal suckers as practical on the
other and _not_ use a phase coupler.

Physics and the US and Canadian electrical codes dictate that one
shouldn't move loads around willy-nilly in the AC power distribution
panel, but in my case, I could make significant improvements taking care
to keep the loads balanced and compliant with the NEC.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org